Online Proctoring Instructions
Notice: Due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19, the states of Minnesota and South Carolina have determined that you may conduct your qualifying course final examination online with e-proctoring. This new method of completing your exam is temporary due to state regulations. Please see below to learn more about this process.
Steps for Online Proctoring
After you complete all the course materials, meet the minimum time requirement (if required by your state), and pass the practice exam(s), there's a final course exam. State regulation mandates that our final course exams are proctored by a credible third party to ensure the integrity of our students and our exams.
We have partnered with PSI to offer our students online proctoring, which means you are able to take your final course exam at your convenience from the comfort of your home while being monitored by a remote proctor through video and screen sharing capabilities.
Watch the following video or review the steps below to prepare for your online proctored final exam.
Complete & pass your course practice exam(s) (proctoring NOT required).
At the end of each course, we offer one or more practice exams. Our practice exams are meant to prepare you for the final course exam.
- You do NOT need a proctor for the practice exam(s).
- You are required to pass the practice exam(s), but have unlimited attempts to pass and can take them after passing them as well.
Confirm that you meet the minimum technical requirements.
Schedule your proctored exam.
- From your Course Home, select “Take me to my exam”. You will be redirected to our third party vendor, PSI, to schedule your exam.
- From the Proctor Prompt, select “schedule exam”.
- You will be prompted to enter your username and password. This is the same as what you use to access your course (i.e., email and password). Note: your password must be six plus characters. If your password is less than six characters please update your password from your My Account page.
From the PSI site, select “Schedule” and follow the prompts. Note:
- Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to availability.
- Exam availability is within our customer support hours, Monday-Friday 7AM – 9PM CST and Saturday-Sunday 9AM – 6PM CST.
- The proctoring fee for exams is $25.00 each and must be paid when you schedule your exam. Note: The proctoring fee is waived in Texas and North Carolina.
Prepare for your final exam.
Because you must schedule your proctored final course exam a minimum 24 hours in advance, we recommend using this time to prepare for your exam. Review your course resources such as study sheets and your glossary. You may also want to take an additional practice exam or two.
Take your proctored final exam. Watch the video here.
- No earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time, log into your course and select “Take me to my exam” from your Course Home.
Make sure you have the following:
- Photo ID. Military IDs cannot be accepted.
- Blank paper. You will be asked to show the blank paper to the proctor via your webcam. Following the completion of your exam, you will be required to rip up the paper.
- Writing utensils.
- Basic calculator. Your calculator cannot have letters, and you cannot use your phone or computer calculator.
- Clean desk. You cannot have notes, papers, or anything else on your desk during the exam.
- Empty, well-lit room. You must have a quiet space free of all other people.
Complete the check-in process. You will be prompted to:
- Slowly move the webcam around the room to verify that you are alone and that your desk is clear of restricted items.
- Show your photo ID. Hold it up to the webcam to verify your identity.
- Capture a photo of yourself in frame to verify your identity.
- Test your webcam and microphone to ensure they are working properly and that screen sharing has been activated.
- Download the secure browser: a small program file will download to your computer. Click the file to open it and select “Run” to install the program. If any pop-ups ask if you approve, click Yes or Okay.
- A live proctor will connect with you via a chat box. You’ll read the rules and sign off on them.
- The proctor will ask you to show your blank pieces of scratch paper. Hold them up to the webcam to verify that each page is blank.
- When the check-in process is complete, the proctor will release you back into the course where you can launch your final exam.
- You will take your exam in the proctor’s presence.
- When you finish the exam, click Submit. You will see your results immediately.
Review your exam results.
- After passing, you will be prompted to complete a survey and affidavit. You have completed your course and the proctor will end the session with you. We will issue you a Certificate of Completion by email.
- If you do not pass on the first attempt, see your Course Home for options, including retake availability where applicable.
- After completing the process, select “End Proctoring Session” and follow the prompts.
Which states require proctoring?
The following states allow online proctoring:
- North Carolina
The following states require in-person proctoring. For more information on the in-person proctoring process, click here.
- New York
- South Carolina
Note: Due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19, the states of Minnesota and South Carolina have determined that you may conduct your qualifying course final examination online with e-proctoring. This new method of completing your exam is temporary due to state regulations. Click here for more information.
How much does a proctored final exam cost?
Each proctored exam attempt costs $25*.
*The proctoring fee is waived in Texas and North Carolina.
How is COVID-19 impacting my proctored exam?
Our online proctoring solution is running business as usual, so you can take your proctored final exam at your convenience. A few states that usually require in-person proctoring have temporarily approved online proctoring during closures. You can find full details here.
What devices can I take my proctored exam on?
Proctored exams must be taken on a laptop or desktop computer. You will not be able to use a tablet or mobile phone.
What do I do if I missed my scheduled exam?
If you missed your scheduled exam, please reach out to PSI to reschedule. They can be reached at 833-333-4755.
What if I need to reschedule my exam?
If you need to reschedule an exam, please reach out to PSI to reschedule. They can be reached at 833-333-4755.
I’m having technical difficulties and I’m supposed to be taking my exam right now. What do I do?
If you are having technical difficulties with the PSI secure browser download, set up, or launch, please contact PSI at 844-267-1017.
Who do I contact with questions?
For technical questions about the online proctoring process, please contact PSI at 844-267-1017.